Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Having Bipolar Doesn't Make a Difference


Crazy, insane, unstable, and irrational: words people say when they talk about mental illness. This is definitely not bipolar. Bipolar disorder or manic-depressive disorder is a mood disorder in which sufferers go through alternating cycles of depression and hypomania, which can be stabilized by medication. The ignorance and lack of understanding of the majority in the population leads to inequality towards people with bipolar disorder. Individuals should support their communities to educate members about bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses to promote understanding, empathy, and support for those who suffer from these disorders.
The media tends to only cover stories about those with bipolar who act “crazy”. Bipolar is the mental illness that media targets as unstable and irrational. For example, a man and his wife had a loud argument while disembarking a plane at the airport. His wife told others surrounding them that he had bipolar disorder and he did not take his medicine.  As he boarded his connecting flight, he claimed that he packed a bomb in his backpack. The Air Marshals soon arrived. The Marshals shot and killed the man, though a bomb was not found. What really mattered is this man was not taking his medication and was unstable; not that he had bipolar. This perception of people with bipolar leads to mistreatment and inequality.
In contrast, the media fails to tell that history contains so many successful and influential people who have had bipolar disorder. These people are praised for their great works but no one pointed out that they had bipolar. If this game changing information of these influential persons’ stories came up, the perception of all people with bipolar would transform. Some of these people include Robin Williams, Abraham Lincoln, Isaac Newton, Mozart, and countless other amazing people whose achievements changed the world. More stories about successful and significant people with bipolar should be shared to educate the world about bipolar disorder in order to help eliminate inequality.
One big act of inequality toward my mental illness occurred when I went to renew my driver’s license. In filling out an information sheet, I was to check if I was diagnosed with a mental illness. When the worker saw I answered yes to the question, my mother was required to come and sign a sheet. After my mother arrived I was also informed that I was required to take an additional driving test. After we questioned why, the worker reasoned insensitively that I could go crazy while driving. In that case he would not want me to try to run him down on his motorcycle. He was sadly misinformed about bipolar. If medicated and treated, those with bipolar can live normal, stable, and happy lives, which I currently uphold. Another driving test would not prove anything about my ability to drive in accordance with my illness. Due to the severe ignorance and insensitivity we fought for training of the offices. All North Texas DPS offices received sensitivity training that summer. This education will hopefully prevent discrimination towards others with mental illnesses.
If the world saw that bipolar does not make people act differently, this absence of equality would disappear. There is a vast difference between having bipolar and not taking medication. This inequality must stop. Encouraging communities to educate their members about mental illness will stop the inequality towards all people with mental illnesses.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that was incredibly ignorant on the part of that DMV employee. Society today is so messed up and twisted: we call for equality but when it comes down to fighting for everyone we fail miserably. I am glad that I read your post; it was insightful and helped me to realize how it might be to live with bipolar disorder. The media has an uncanny ability to distort the truth in order to sell more. Unfortunately, they are the ones that are supposed to be informing us of the truth. Thank you for writing about this topic because I honestly wouldn't have ever considered what it is like without having read this. Keep fighting for the truth; I love hearing stories of individuals who fought against injustice (whether it be discrimination or someone encroaching on their rights) and won. (I think it's my inner journalist...) Anyways keep up the good work McKenzie, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete