Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Parent's Perspective

Hello everyone! So for this post I interviewed my parents on what it was like to have a child with bipolar disorder. I hope that this is helpful to you all!


Q: What were some of the signs that you knew that something was out of the norm to a child my age?

A: You had a lot of sleep issues. That entailed night terrors, not being able to go to sleep, and not staying asleep. You were extremely hyperactive. All of your emotions were very intense. You were also an expert escape artist.

Q: What did you do to find out what was wrong with me?

A: We talked to the pediatrician and different specialists. We tried many different therapies, therapists, and medications.

Q: What was your reaction when you found out that I had Bipolar Disorder?

A: It was a relief to know what was wrong and how it could be treated, but we also felt grief that you would have this problem your whole life.

Q: What did you initially do to control the Bipolar?

A: We put you on correct medication, monitored your behavior, went to different therapists, tried different therapies, and prayed for help in guiding us to do what was right for you.

Q: What have you seen in my life that helps to maintain my moods?

A: It has helped a lot that you have accepted that you have to deal with it. Also, it has helped that you gained an understanding of the importance of medicine and self-care, and recognizing that you can have a normal life even though you have this struggle.

Q: What is the most difficult part about having a child with bipolar disorder?

A: The hardest part for us is watching you struggle and not being there in person to help you struggle. We wish that we could take the struggle away, but we understand it is something that you have to deal with.

Q: What advice would you give to people who have been diagnosed with bipolar and the people around them?

A: Don’t give up! Be willing to accept help. You cannot do it alone and it is okay to get help. Build a strong support network. It may take a while to learn how to maintain the bipolar but it will work out in the end.

Q: Is there anything else that you would want to say to help those dealing with bipolar?

A: You can live a full and happy life even though you have struggles. Also, know that bipolar disorder does not just affect the person who has it, but also everyone in their family and those around them. 


Thanks for reading! Have a great day!
McKenzie

1 comment:

  1. First off I wanted to say thanks for posting this. I would expect it's probably pretty hard to talk about something like bipolar disorder, which from what I understand reading this post has been a pretty significant trial in your life, but I think it is awesome that you're talking about it and about how to help others who have this problem as well. I love the part that talks about you accepting your problem. I think that is one of the keys to moving forward and essential to fighting any trial. I remember a student in one of my high school health classes who had bipolar. I did not know much about him outside of class other than he seemed like a nice guy and a lot of people seemed to like him. I can't remember for sure, but I think he was on the student government as well. The teacher one day asked him to talk about his bipolar disorder and I was shocked. I had no idea this student had anything like bipolar. After he shared this experience I started to see him in a different light. He was a good example to me about how you just have to go for it in life. He didn't let his trial stop him, just as you haven't let it stop you. Thanks again for the post and I look forward learning more about bipolar disorder.

    ReplyDelete